Welcome to soup-er Monday! I had to work late every night this past week – which, with a commute like ours, makes for a very, very long day. Luckily, Dani was wonderful and greeted me at the door each evening with a glass of wine and a delicious homemade dinner.* One night, I walked in the door to roasted sweet potato and carrot soup, which Dani made using really fresh produce we’d picked up at the farmer’s market. To make this scrumptiously simple soup, you will need:
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 enormous carrots
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- cinnamon (~4 shakes)
- a blender
- Cut the sweet potato and carrots into small pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and roast for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- While the sweet potato and carrots are roasting, saute the onion and cinnamon in a pot on low/medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When the potatoes and carrots are roasted, add to the pot with the onions.
- Add the vegetable broth, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a blender, in batches if necessary, and reheat.
- Eat and enjoy – preferably with a good book and a glass of wine.
* beaver helped cook, or so he claims. I don’t believe it – I’m positive he pretended to help just so he could attack the undersides of the kitchen cabinets.