Not only is it vegetarian monday – it’s a HOLIDAY vegetarian monday! There is no better way to celebrate freedom than with this delicious meal. This recipe started out as chicken rice mango wraps (found here – amazing), but over time Dani and I have altered little bits here and there and it’s now become a salad – or wraps, depending on how you feel and if you have lettuce.
You will need (serves four):
- baby spinach leaves (for salad) OR green leaf lettuce (for wraps)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 mango, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchstick pieces
- 2 bunches spring onions, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1-2 cups quinoa OR bulgar wheat
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon asian sesame oil
1. Cook your quinoa (if pre-rinsed, put 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water into a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, cooking for 10-15 minutes. If not pre-rinsed, see great cooking instructions here). OR prepare your bulgar wheat (put two cups bulgar wheat and two cups water into a bowl and let sit for one hour. Voila!)
2. Chop all the other ingredients and arrange nicely on a plate.
3. Make the salad dressing. I know, there is mayonnaise in it. Gross. You can’t taste it, though, and this salad dressing is delicious. I crave it. I dream about it.This salad dressing is to me as the One Ring is to Gollum. We wants it, we needs it. It is my precious.
4. Assemble the salads (if you’re making wraps, just dump all the veggies on a lettuce leaf, top with sauce, and devour). For salads, put spinach leaves in a bowl. Top with quinoa or bulgar wheat. Pile on mango, cucumber, spring onions, and cilantro. Squeeze a lime on top. Add salad dressing. Enjoy! … And you will. Immensely.