We apologize for missing vegetarian monday last week – Dani and I were in Mexico and unable to post. Besides, the only vegetarian thing we ate all day was a plate of fruit with yogurt and honey. The rest of the day, we feasted on all manner of unhealthy (and delicious) foods.
This week’s recipe is another healthy, tasty soup – comfort food for wintertime!
You will need:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh cilantro
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low to medium heat. Add the leeks and onions, then cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes until soft and brown.
- Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, water, and broth to the saucepan and add a dash of nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and let it cool slightly, then puree the soup in either a food processor or blender (in batches if necessary).
- Rinse the saucepan then return the soup to it, put over low heat and simmer until heated through.
- Top with cilantro and pepper.