this is our mom’s recipe and therefore this blog post is dedicated to her!
it doesn’t matter that baltimore is in the grip of the hottest heat wave we can remember, hot soup is still a wonderful thing to come home to. well, dani will be coming home to it, at least; as acting chef du jour, i’m making it. ‘it’ being gorgeous, savory potato soup!
we have crusty ciabatta, lots of aircon, and a new show to watch (mad men) … it just might be the perfect evening.
if you can’t read/follow that gibberish … see below!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- l large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can evaporated milk
- salt / pepper / parsley to taste
4. cook until mush (mom’s exact words)
5. using a hand beater, mix/chop/beat the soup until blended.
6. add the evaporated milk, return to the stove, and heat until hot. <– we know, we know. you got it!
7. cut slices of ciabatta, slather with olive oil, and bake for 5-6 minutes.