welcome back to veggie monday! well, tuesday.
my kitchen crew today included myself, dani’s boyfriend (rod), and danabot (because dani is in india for work and cannot actually participate).
first, rod and i made fresh salsa. we are completely hooked on the pioneer woman’s salsa, recipe found here. it’s the most delicious salsa in the world! the grocery store was out of jalopenos, so rod bought habaneros instead. believe me – you only need one small one.
mixed greens (or romaine)
red onion (sliced)
spring onions (chopped)
tomatoes (chopped or cherry tomatoes)
a gorgeous chunk of feta cheese
(i know these are good ingredients for a greek salad because i checked with the lovely greek woman i work with)
1. make the salad dressing.
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
5 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp red wine vinegar
4 cloves fresh garlic (we ended up mincing two, and using a garlic press for the other two, but i’m sure you can prepare all four cloves the same way and it’ll turn out just fine)
salt and pepper to taste
4. cut thick slabs of feta cheese and place on top (you can crumble your own before eating, or break bits off with your fork)
5. spoon on the salad dressing.
6. photograph your gorgeous creation!
fun hedgehog fact: if you feed them fish, they will smell like fish until you give them a bath. case in point: rod made fried fish monday, and dochee smelled like a flounder when i played with him tonight.
1 cup banana, beaten. a very ripe one is best, but any banana will work.
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
5 1/2 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh)
sugar in the raw
1. preheat the oven to 350.
2. beat the banana and butter together with a hand mixer.
4. add the dry ingredients (flour, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
6. add the walnuts and raspberries, and gently fold into the mixture with a spoon.
8. bake for 30 minutes. remove from the oven, and sprinkle the top with sugar in the raw.
9. return to the oven, and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
10. while it’s baking, watch the ‘skunk ape’ episode of monsterquest and drink wine with good company.