vegetarian monday 1.31.11
wild mushroom risotto
dani has been making this for ages, from a recipe she found here on epicurious.com. as she had all the ingredients ready, it was my job this week to drink wine and hover around as she expertly prepared our dinner. being a very good wine drinker and hover-er, it was lovely.
3 14 1/2 oz cans vegetable broth (or bouillon equivalent)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, chopped (no shallots were on hand, so dani used onion instead)
1 pound assorted mushrooms, sliced (or just one kind, if that’s all you have)
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or dried, if you can’t get fresh)
1. bring the veggie broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. reduce the heat to low, cover, and keep hot.
2. melt three tablespoons of butter with the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add the chopped shallots (onions) and saute for 1 minute (or 5 if you forget about them).
3. add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
6. increase the heat to medium-high.
7. add 3/4 cup hot veggie broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently.
8. add the remaining broth 3/4 cup at a time, allowing the broth to be absorbed before adding more, and stirring frequently.
– because this takes awhile, you might need a snack.
9. when the rice is tender and the mixture creamy, you’re almost finished! (this should take about 20 minutes. now, if the rice is done and the mixture seems nice and rich and creamy, don’t feel you have to add all the veggie broth. it’s okay to not use it all!)
keep eating those veggies, omnivores (and carnivores)!